Friday, December 1, 2006

Always take the free meal...

Since this is my first post, perhaps I should introduce myself before getting any further.

My name is Scott Clouthier. I'm a reporter/photographer for The Equity, an English weekly newspaper covering the predominantly anglophone Pontiac region of Quebec, Canada about an hour northwest of Ottawa. I am a graduate of the photojournalism program at Loyalist College in Belleville, Ontario.

Now for the stories...

Tonight I had to drive roughly 40km from Shawville (where I live) to Fort Coulonge to cover a kids' Christmas party. It just so happened to be during the worst snow/ice storm we've had so far this winter. It took me close to an hour both ways (it usually takes just over half), and for most of the way home I couldn't see farther than four feet in front of my car.

The publisher even called me before I left, saying if I decided not to go, that she would understand.

But I had to.

No, not in the name of journalism and getting the news to the people... but because I'd heard they feed you well. Yes, living alone in the boonies doesn't provide many opportunities for quick meals, so I usually jump at the chance to not have to make dinner for myself. The good thing about living in a small community like this is there are a lot of people who would enjoy feeding you, even more so after they get to know you.

So the meal didn't disappoint -- spaghetti and meat sauce, with not one but two pieces of already buttered bread, not bad. Plus, when I showed up, the director came over to make sure I didn't pay to get in because "the journalist always eats for free."

I'm sure some of you would call me crazy for trying to justify that a plate of spaghetti is worth two hours of bad driving, but to me it is.

As for the event itself, it was a rather ho-hum occasion. The kids seemed to enjoy it, though, plus I learned a few Christmas carols in French (not "learned" as in, I could recite them for you... but I know what they are now).

Apparently not everyone's a fan of the jolly fat man in the red suit. About half the kids that were there went into hysterics when it was their turn to sit on Santa's knee.

Maybe this kid was just upset that they tried to give him a snow shovel as a gift.

That's it for now, I guess.

À bientôt,

Scott

No comments: